1914 Ford Model T Depot Hack - Click to see a list of sponsors
US Flag and Constitution
Barefoot Adventures
The Barefoot Canoe Expedition, Idaho to New Orleans 1984
Barefoot Goldwinging – Most All of North America, 1997-2000
Voyages of the Barefoot Windwalker Across the North Atlantic

The Barefoot Model T National Tour
Getting Out and Getting Under
In The Good Ol' US of A

Barefoot's 1914 Ford "Tin Lizzie" Saga - 2007

Getting Out November – December 2007

November 1, 2007 --
I woke at 5:30 to say goodbye to Barbara before she left for work. Bruce got up too. I left for the VA at 8:10 after loading the last of the gear. I will make the decision whether to drive or fly back to Idaho after consulting with the VA doctor. I headed north on 441 for Steve’s in Boynton Beach arriving about 2pm. After finding a substitute manifold gasket with the right size holes at NAPA and returning to Steve's I crawled in the back and slept until Steve got off work and home about 4:30. We pulled the exhaust manifold and with a straight edge found it was warped about a ¼ inch vertically in the middle, no wonder it would not seal. Steve took the manifold off his 23 T Touring and we put it on Elizabeth with the new gaskets and rings and it sealed fine. We had dinner at the Cracker Barrel, driving over in the T. It sure does sound better. I need to ask Mike or Tom at AAR what the cost of a manifold is to replace Steve's.

November 2, 2007 --
Awake by 6, I got clean clothes, showered and was on the road by 7:30 to Interlachen. Made it within 70 miles before light started to fade, found an abandoned side road, with a deadfall across it about 200 yds from US 17, skirted around the end of it and made camp, had the left over biscuits for dinner, made a small squaw wood fire after dark and enjoyed a quiet evening under the stars. I made a bed in the back of the T and crawled in about 9pm.

November 3, 2007 --
Waking about 6:30, made coffee, loaded gear back in the T and was on the road again by 7:30. Arriving at Murf's in Interlachen about 10:30, we enjoyed a pleasant chat over coffee. I took Murf for a short ride around the neighborhood and after saying our goodbyes, I got on the road to St. Augustine arriving at the Serenity club about 1:30 where I spent the rest of the day after touring old town one more time. I did locate a number of old friends from when I was here with the boat.Istarted to leave the club and the T developed a terrible wobble. Lost the wheel balance weights and loose lug nuts on the rough streets of St. Aug. Parked in the club lot and sacked out.

November 4, 2007 --
I slept well, getting an extra hour of sleep. I caught the morning meeting and the Sunday morning breakfast. I then met with Charley and Debbie Duvall. Charley motored with me up to St. Marys with the boat in 2005 and Debbie was a great friend at that time. I headed north again to St. Marys, GA about noon. I motored up I-95 to the turnoff for St. Marys arriving about 2. I spent the next 3 hours trying to locate Ken and Rachel Knight, finally going to Kiingsland and the Serenity club where Lance had Ken's cell number and let him know I was at the club. I hit a railrod track hard coming to the club and the T developed a killer wobble at low speed. After the meeting Ken and Rachel showed up from Yulee where they had gone to celebrate Ken's 26th. We gabbed a while then they left and I sacked out in the back of the T. I first got to know Ken and Rachel when I had the boat in the boatyard across the road from their home and Ellen's 3 years ago.

November 5, 2007 --
Ken came to the club early, and we tried to correct the wobble without any success, caught the morning meeting, then left for St Marys, getting past the wobble into high gear and made it without much problem. I tried tightening every thing I could in the steering linkage with no success. I then ordered a steering damper frpm Antique Auto Tanch. I don't know what I would do without them. Then after Ken finished his day at his tattoo studio, eased on out to his place where I put the T in his garage. We had a very pleasant evening and made it to bed about10:30.

November 6, 2007 --
My computer will not get on line to check my email. I continued trying to get the wobble corrected. No luck. I spent the rest of the day trying to fix the computer, finding two virus, but even after cleaning them was not able to get on the web. We went to an Italian restaurant for dinner.

November 7, 2007 --
A repeat pf yesterday. The steering damper arrived. Ken and I went to BK's Auto and Greg Bordenkircher straightened the forward 1" bow in the front axle by chaining the T to a steel post and using a porta-power to push it straight. He was tickled to do the job, an alignment on the T, the oldest they have worked on, as was his crew. They do body and frame work and auto painting. All in all a good day. Charley Whittington came to the shop with his wife and he took the computer home to work on it. He is an IT tech. We went from the shop to a little meeting in St. Marys. My back is worse for some reason????

November 8, 2007 --
I finished the little maintenance items on the T, correcting the toe-in, and installed the steering damper. After installing all the curtains and getting the T buttoned up for colder weather and re-loaded so I can sleep in it comfprably, I took Rachel's mom, Ellen Raney for a ride. She was ecstatic and made a donation to the Tour. Without the generosity of the Knights and Ellen it would have been thin sledding until my SSI comes in next week. TRUE Southern Hospitality. I then took Rachel for a ride. NO WOBBLE. I then went to Ken's Tattoo Studio in St. Marys to update the log as Charley was able to get the computer operating somewhat. Still cannot get on the web with the browsers, but can load to the web with FTP. I believe I am ready to head toward Milledgeville, GA in the morning.

November 9, 2007 --
Left out for Milledgeville about 8:30 after a little emotional goodbyes. What great friends. The trip to Milledgeville was uneventful, except for meeting a Model A owner Vernon Crews at Folkston, and missing the turn to 44i at McRae, going about 20 miles out of the way before realizing the error, back tracking east on a county road back to 441. I arrived in Milledgeville at dusk, finding my way to Breezy Hill Road where I had the address of Judy and Jordie Allen. I pulled into the lane and a locked gate, walked down to the house and realized it was their old address. I had a hell of a time backing out of the lane in the dark up a steep incline. I parked the T under a pole light at the top on the level off the road, made a nest in the back and sacked out. About midnight I hear voices and woke. It was the owners of the property, Fred and Cheri Faith, just arriving for the weekend from Birmingham, AL. We talked for a few minutes, then each made our way to bed. They knew where Judy had her new house.

November 10, 2007 --
Waking at first light, I checked the T, made coffee, then drove the T down into the yardm now that the gate was open. Fred greeted me with another cup of coffee, and volunteered to lead me out to Judy's. Cheri rode with me in the T. Fred filled the T tank and bought me two packs of cigs. Arriving at Judy's unexpected we had an emotional, joyful, tearful reunion. We spent the day recounting, exploring Judy's acres, feeding some cows, meeting folks around, Jordie and I spent some time reviewing my recovery pages, and I think I have convinced Judy that Jordie needs a computer to expand her horizons to get her out of isolation, as she is pretty much housebound with Spinal Meningitis. I called it a day about 9pm.

November 11, 2007 --
Up about 6:45, Judy and I had coffee, then I updated the log. I don't know what this day will bring. Walked the dogs, then took Judy to church in the T, about 15 miles away. Worked with Jordie sorting out some things that are troubling her. Called my brother Mike and wished him happy birthday and talked with Tony at the shop. Jordie lanced my elbow that is swollen from a black widow spider bite, removing the two fangs that were left behind, squeezing out the poisoned blood and plasma, reducing the lump by half. A full day and sacked out early.

November 12, 2007 --
Near freezing last night, I need to drain the radiator and start using antifreeze coolant today. Quiet day. Judy and I went to town for breakfast, got a ladder and some coolant at Ace Hardware, returned, were able to get up into the attic of this new home. I drained about half the water in the T, replacing it with the coolant. Jordie and I took the T into Wal-Mart to price computers. I set up the deal with Windstream to get DSL service by Friday. Soaked my elbow in hot water for a half hour, helped.

November 13, 2007 --
Judy and I went to Wally World and bought the computer. I spent the rest of the day loading it with Barefoot's World and Recovery Talks, and all the music I have collected. Jordie will have to get some programming, specifically MS Office to load Windows and Excel. Maybe Willene has a copy?? Jordie had a couple of emotional acting outs of past hurts. Have to get her living in the NOW. She feels she is being victimized, when anything doesn't go her way. All in all though, a good day. Put down the air mattress to sleep on, as the day bed was hurting my back.

November 14, 2007 --
Woke at 6, and updated the log to this point. Elbow still swollen, but looking good, not red or discolored. Judy and I sat and had coffee and a very pleasant morning conversation as we both welcomed HP into our day, each in our own way then we stacked a bunch of lumber and other left over building material in the front out along the field fence. Today will be spent teaching Jordie the beginning ins and outs of using the computer until the DSL hookup is established. She had a particularly difficult emotional day. It was difficult and tryubg for all of us.

November 15, 2007 --
Woke up cold about 5:30. Started Jordie's computer about 1pm and the sound card crapped out...Shit.. It was all loaded and working fine..... took it back to Wal-Mart and exchanged it, no problem. I had it mostly reloaded by bed time.

November 16, 2007 --
Spent most of the day waiting for the tech to come install the DSL, he got here at 3:45 and had it all filtered and running great by 4:30. I spent the next 4 hours upgrading both Jordie's new box and mine from the web, answering my email, setting up email accounts etc. in bed at 9.

November 17, 2007 --
Spent the day bugging, debugging, cleaning up, updating computers. Assembled a computer desk for Jordie's computer. Jordie had a bad day with her disease.

November 18, 2007 --
Woke at 0600, ready to get on the road again for Alpharetta, and points west Only last minute things to load and secure. On the road by 9:30 after all the goodbyes. Made it to Alphaaretta about 3pm, parked in the Alpharetta Square, and made contact with Tammie A. We went to 8pm meeting then to her apartment where I spent the night. It was so good to see her again.

November 19, 2007 --
After going to the morning meeting with Tammie, I got on the road north toward Nashville, camping about 30 miles sout of town. Uneventful day on the road.

November 20, 2007 --
On the road at first light, worked my way through Nashville, and on north, camping avout 10 miles past Padduca, KY behind a country cemetery. My arm is giving me fits, hurting like hell. Took some Ibupropen and rubbed it with Vicks salve.

November 21, 2007 --
Got about 7 hours sleep, I have to get to an emergency room. Finally found one in Cape Girardeau, MI. Dr. Cole operated on it, said it was the worst abscess he had seen in 23 years of practice. Removed more than 20 cc of pus. I went from emergency to the club at 417 Broadway and waited for the 5:30 meeting to ask for a place to stay for the next couple of days, before I move on. Russell G. volunteered a bed. Thank God, as it is reining and cold out.

November 22, 2007 --
Slept well, no pain in wound. Russ went bow-hunting for deer about 4am. Went to emergency at 8am to have the elbow re-dressed. I was early so set up the computer to update the log. I was unable to log in to the hospital Wi-Fi to check email or upload to the web. I had a good breakfast at Denny's after, then went to the meeting hall. After the meeting I went with a fellow to the Salvation Army for Thanksgiving dinner. While there I acquired a brand new Coleman vest, a thick new blanket and a set of long johns which I will need as it is getting colder. From there back to Russ's and sacked out for an hour on the couch. Russ had returned and was getting ready to start cooking. His daughter, Angel, and her husband, a cook at Applebees, did the cooking. I went to the 5:15 while they ate as I was stuffed from Sally's. Returning after the meeting, we sat and talked and had pie until 9, then Russ and I cleaned up the kitchen and dining area before sacking out.

November 23, 2007 --
A little discomfort last night, arm wrapped a little tight, was able to loosen it some. Russ went hunting again this morning. I had an 11:30 check in today at Southeast Hospital and was treated again by the most excellent staff in ER I got back to Russ's about 2:15. He was sacked out and apparently did not bag a deer again. After Russ woke after hunting we went to meeting. On our return his buddy Doug brought 3 rattlesnake skins for Russ to tan and mount. One was nearly 7 foot long. Sacked at 11:30

November 24, 2007 --
Up at 6, was able to get a weather outlook, northwest of here sunny and 50s days, 20s at night. Changed clothes, put on long johns and got ready to roll out. Russ is hunting again this morning. Left about 0830, cold day of travel to Jefferson City. Stopped and holed up in a fleabag motel in Apache Flats after dark.

November 25, 2007 --
Up at 6, spit bathed and made coffee before leaving at sun-up. Will have arm dressed at next ER I spot along the way. I will be traveling US 50 all today toward the west and north on US 50 and 24. Made it through the KC's in good order before dark and onto us 24 toward Manhattan before dark. Ran the last 20 miles to Wamego in the dark. Holed up in a motel about 6:45. Costly, but I need it to take care of my arm.

November 26, 2007 --
Up at 5:55, took a tub bath and shower to wash down everything and soak the elbow to remove dead skin from around it. It is looking good, healing well. Re-dressed and bound it with difficulty. Ready to roll on at sun-up. Will turn north to Ogallala at Hoxie, KS. Made it to Mc Comb, Nebraska after dark, located a meeting. Had a fine meal at a family restaurant while waiting for a meeting to start. One of the members, Jim, a visitor from Denver, donated a tank of gas and the cost of a motel room for the night, very much appreciated and needed. The generosity of folks along the way blows me away. Re-dressed the incision on my elbow, looking good. Sacked out at 10pm.

November 27, 2007 --
Finished anti-biotics. Out early, slept well until 5:45. Motel served a continental breakfast to get me started on the day. Damn, it is cold this morning, 19 deg. F, but Lizzie started easy. On the road with first light. The day warmed to about 55 by 2pm and was a pretty day. As I was approaching the Wyoming border a weather shear front nearly blew me off the road. I stopped for about a half hour to let it pass, a stop for sandwich and coffee. Continuing on to Guernsey, WY at dusk, I holed up for the night at the first motel I spotted, an old low cost one. The wireless net here allowed me to update the web for the first time since leaving Georgia.

November 28, 2007 --
Woke in the middle of the night, checked weather ahead on the web, it is going to be cold in Montana when I get there, but can keep on keeping on. Back to bed. Got back up about 6:30, on the road at 7:45. Nice day, but cold, making Casper in time for a meeting and a meet with John Watson. I had planned on making Buffalo this afternoon, but in down shifting the Ruckstell for the grade off Center Street onto I-25, the lever came off in my hand. Back to the meeting hall to locate John and get it fixed. John called Lance and we took it to the shop where he works. Lance and Duane made a repair better than new in about an hour. Back to John and Mary's where I spent the night after the "birthday meeting" at the hall. John celebrated 16 and Lance 7.

November 29, 2007 --
On the road at 0800, pulling grades and fighting head winds taking until after noon to reach Buffalo. I also had a coil problem but changed to the spare coil after 20 miles of tinkering trying to figure out the problem. Re-fueled in Buffalo and reached Ranchester/Dayton in a dry snow flurry, not sticking, about 3:30. I went to the Branding Iron Café in Dayton in hopes of meeting Norma Nichols and waited until after 6:30, the returned to Ranchester and a motel. A hot shower was much welcomed as it is 18 degrees out now. It will be 5 in the morning.

November 30, 2007 --
Cold, fairly clear, no snow, wind calm. On the road at sun up making good time. I stopped in Reed Point, MT to visit Gerry "Herk" Herkimer and wife Vicki, old high school buddies. We see each other about once a year. I was only going to stop for an hour, but Vicki asked if I would like a turkey dinner. Lordy Yes, so I stayed the night, setting up camp in a friend Victor's shop with the T inside. The shop was floor heated to 62 degrees, and 5 above outside. Nice, slept well.

December 1, 2007 --
We had breakfast together at the local pub, Gerry, Vicki, Victor and I. I got on the road about 0900. Gerry had given me a small propane space heater to heat the T cab. It worked fine until a draft blew out the pilot light. I couldn't keep it lit as the cross winds picked up, but the cold was not bad all day in the sun, about 27 deg. I had no problem in Bozeman or Pipe Stone Passes, the T handling the little snow very well. I stopped in Butte and bought two gallons of 50/50 antifreeze. Proceeding on until after sunset, I reached Drummond, froze to the bone. Wnen the sun went down, the temperature plummeted to about 5 above. I had my camp stove on high between my legs, but even so, it took me an hour to stop shaking. I had run out of calories, but a good meal and a hot shower fixed that.

December 2, 2007 --
After a good breakfast at the motel café, I had to jack up the rear wheel to get Liz to turn over. The temperature was -1. After 5 or 6 attempts I got her to pop and then after a few more, got her running. With the camp stove between my legs it was tolerable and by the time I got to Missoula it was 30. I filed the coil points and stopped the burbling. Pulling Lookout Pass with no problem, I let down into Idaho, refueling at Kellogg to have enough to pull 4th of July pass. About Cataldo, a wet heavy snow was starting down. From there to the bottom of the pass I had to stop several times to clear the windshield. Starting up the pass the snow became heavier, stopping every half to one and a half miles to wipe it off. Half way up the pass, trucks and cars were scattered all over, sliding every which way, trying to get chains on. After a half hour wait, I decided I could wend my way through and run the shoulder. The skinny 30x3½ tires dug right down and I had no problem pulling the rest of the pass, having it all to myself, over the top and down the west side all the way to Coeur d'Alene. I arrived at the shop and home about 4:15 in a drizzly snotty snow, glad to be off the road. This had to be the worst day, and the best, of the whole trip. Worst because of temperatures and conditions, and Best because I am home. After a dinner of HOT tortilla soup, I crashed in bed about 7pm.

December 3, 2007 --
I slept well in my own bed, but am run out, sickly with a bad case of the sneezes by jeesus, and aches and pains in my arms and hands from fighting the "armstrong steering" all day yesterday. I had breakfast with Tony and Christopher, then came back to update this log.

I wish to thank again all the wonderful people that I met along the way, making the trip possible and most enjoyable. I salute you, and thank you for your lives, which have meant so much to me.

In the coming weeks, I will resolve the issue that forced me home instead of wintering in the south, of what is in my right lung at the VA in Spokane. I will post results as I know them every now and again.

Remember my words --- "We are given one life to live, and I intend to wear mine out well!!" --- I pray that you can do the same.

Love and Peace, Barefoot

December 19, 2007 --
A follow on update --- Since arriving home I have been recovering from a bad case of cold/flu that I am told is called "norvovirus", that has laid me low. Dec 5 I went to the VA and got an appointment with my doctor there for the following Tuesday, had blood drawn and an appointment made for a CT scan Dec 26 the morning after Christmas. In the meantime I am slowly getting better. The weather has been cold, 30s days and 20s nights, up to 3" of snow at one point, but mostly melting during the days, a little nasty but not bad, as most of the time I am crashed in the lounge chair in the office. I will report again after the 26th.

2008 Update

Click for my wish for you this day
Click for a Message From Barefoot
Barefoot's World
Email Barefoot
On the Web April 2007 in the Spirit of Adventure

Three mighty important things, Pardn'r, LOVE And PEACE and ADVENTURE in LIFE